Sunday, September 11, 2005

my hero

my ex step-father-in-law is leaving for new orleans next week
he is getting all the required shots and taking the crash training course for disaster this week

he is a 67 year-old retired pathologist and coroner,
a humanitarian,
a wonderful grandpa,
a brilliant doctor,
caring and gentle father and husband,
and my new hero.

i wanted to take the red cross course,
go to the south, and help out in any way i could,
but my family wouldnt let me go.

my mother in law made a good point to me today
she said "he will help enough for the both of us, no, he will do enough for ten people"

he will
he will stay down there until everyone is better
and everyone is safe

i know he will

he is my hero
thank you Don
for being in this world
i couldnt ask for a better grandpa for my daughter,
a friend,
a human bowl of knowledge,
and it doesnt hurt to have a brilliant doctor in the family.

i will think of you every day you are gone
and although i will never experience what you are about to go through,
i know you will do everything you can to make the world a better place for those people that have lost everything.

please be safe
and thank you

Don
My hero

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an amazing and very noble thing for him to do.

I saw a programme about the tsunami in asia last week and it was about pathologists working out there trying to reunite loved ones with the bodies of those that died. It's very important work and will become so in NO in the very near future.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Jaded said...

He is truly a hero for all of us. I will keep him in my prayers.

8:07 AM  
Blogger GingerSnaps said...

i am very scared for him. i know he is a very smart and careful man and he has done work like his before when he was in greenpeace, but that was many years ago. this is much different with the rapes and the killings and lootings and all the evil that is lurking down there.

my mind is full of worry.
i know what he is doing is important, so i will let it go

9:26 AM  
Blogger Combine Harvester said...

I hear a bette midler song...yes.
it's quaint...I smell burned toast.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a dude - he worked for Greenpeace too? Awesome, truely awesome!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Knitty Kitty said...

Thats really cool that he is going, but I do hope that he is careful!

6:48 PM  
Blogger CheyenneWay said...

just to let you know lilred, the violence that was happening has subdued and there are only ~10,000 people left in the city. Everyone is in need of help and your dad is doing an amazing thing. Many blessings and I'll send smoke that way.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Ubermilf said...

What a great guy to have in your life!

How have you been feeling lately, my LilRed friend? I hope you are well!

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home